Public sector risk managers, in-house counsel and insurers around the world look to Boghosian + Allen to provide skilled file handling and the most authoritative advice on municipal and public sector liability matters at competitive rates.
David Boghosian is a national expert in the field of municipal liability and public authority liability and the co-author of Canada’s leading loose leaf text on municipal liability, The Law of Municipal Liability in Canada. Mr. Boghosian is a national consultant and an international speaker on municipal and public sector liability topics. He is the Co-Director of the Osgoode Part-time LL.M. Program in Municipal Law and a Program Chair of the International Municipal Lawyers Association.
Boghosian + Allen is one of the leading municipal insurance defence firms in Ontario. The firm acts for numerous Ontario municipalities, including Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, Burlington, Hamilton, Markham, Oakville, Region of Durham, Peel and Niagara.
The firm is one of a select few law firms selected to defend claims against the Province of Ontario, both in respect of highway non-repair and general liability claims, including those related to police, emergency and correctional services and maintenance of provincial facilities and parks.
The lawyers at Boghosian + Allen LLP have handled thousands of public sector defence claims involving virtually every potential source of liability on the part of public authorities including:
We are also regularly retained by municipal in-house counsel in respect of a wide range of uninsured litigation matters, including those relating to:
- by-law prosecutions (including a large volume of prosecutions relating to the UBER ride-sharing program on behalf of the City of Mississauga);
- the validity of by-laws (e.g., regulation of smoking, fill importation and adult entertainment);
- the validity of decisions of council;
- controverted elections and elections finance;
- licenses and permits;
- workplace harassment and wrongful dismissal;
- subdivision and development agreements;
- claims for property damage to municipal property;
- construction liens;
- defective goods and services provided by City vendors (e.g., bus fire cases);
- insurance coverage disputes; and
- construction and maintenance agreements with third parties.
Boghosian + Allen LLP is also frequently retained to participate in special inquiries as well as strategic communications, government relations and crisis management.